Community buzz

Cook for Good Community Forum > Shopping Lists

I've been reading WAO and am interested in doing the summer plan. However, as I sit down to write a shopping list I am a bit overwhelmed. Obviously I can't purchase all the items at once for the month as some will spoil, but all are listed in a lump on the shopping list. Am I missing something or do I need to flip back and forth between shopping list, recipes, and the cooking plan to do the math of how much to buy initially vs on following weeks?

Thank you for the assistance!

Jun 25, 2013 | Registered Commenterlisab2

Hi Lisab2! I'm so glad you're reading WAO and thinking about doing the summer plan. You might want to check out the menus and shopping lists in the Cook for Good summer challenge, which give you classic and plant-powered options for two weeks of cooking (one using the 20 Minutes a Day plan and the second week cooking everything from scratch).

I don't have the month-long menus from the WAO broken out by week at this point, but it's a good idea. Here's my approach: buy everything that is not perishable and that doesn't go on sale at the beginning of the month so you can quit worrying about it. This includes most bulk-bin items like dried beans, grains, nuts, and dried fruit. Stock up on any non-perishable that is on sale, such as peanut butter, canned tomatoes, or pasta. Then buy fruit and veggies every week and pick up what you still need that week plus any items for the rest of the month that are on sale.

Jun 27, 2013 | Registered CommenterLinda Watson

I have the shopping list for week 1 and the cooking session as a very ugly PDF here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByHo8PvbJ0v5RTlUd3NBZmdsbTA/edit?usp=sharing

(And if it's not OK to share, just let me know and I'll take it down, Linda.)

This does not include the ice cream -- and I buy the tortillas vs making them.

Aug 3, 2013 | Registered Commenterseralewis