Community buzz

Cook for Good Community Forum > Fire-roasted tomatoes

I'm wondering if in recipes that specify "fire-roasted tomatoes" regular diced canned tomatoes can be substituted? How about in your "50 Weeks Recipe Test" recipes? Are you using Muir Glen canned fire-roasted tomatoes? As a routine, I buy Kirkland Organic Diced Tomatoes at Costco for my soups and stews and they are pretty economical. Does fire-roasted add that much more flavor?

May 26, 2013 | Registered Commentercitygirl

What a good question, Citygirl! I do think the flavor is worth it as a splurge, but regular diced tomatoes are fine. I like that Muir Glen has BPA-free cans, which is rare for canned tomatoes. I buy them by the case when they are on sale (which is the "or less" part of the "$5 a day or less.")

On the other hand, you can just add the smoky essence by stirring in some smoked paprika. My pal Kathy Hester over at Healthy Slow Cooking uses Liquid Smoke.

May 26, 2013 | Registered CommenterLinda Watson

I am checking the stores every day for the annual fall "price plunge" on these, and plan to buy a couple of cases when it hits bottom....our store offers a case discount. They are lovely to have for many cheap yummies at our house, like chili, smoky tomato-lentil soup, and the pasta sauces we freeze by the pint. Smoked paprika is a wonderful thing too....I confess I am slightly addicted to it (smile)

Sep 23, 2013 | Registered Commentergreenhedonist