Community buzz

Cook for Good Community Forum > Daily calorie amount?

Hi all! I've completed my first week of the summer meal plan. I feel wonderful and so does my husband. I have been plagued by digestive problems for years and this week was uneventful for my sensitive tummy.

I did notice though that I gained 2 pounds... This may have nothing to do with my diet but it got me wondering...

Approximately how many calories a day is one person consuming on the summer meal plan? I'm not an avid calorie counter, just curious if I should exercise a little more now.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 16, 2012 | Registered Commenterwhitneyh

Good for you, Whitneyh! I don't have the calorie count right now, but will check with a student who has been analyzing the menus for nutrition. It's really interesting that you've gained weight. My Taster and I lost about a pound a week when we followed the plan exactly, until we hit our ideal weight. In fact, I just pitched this diet as an anti-obesity approach on Friday!

Maybe your tummy is so happy that you're able to process everything you eat? If you keep gaining weight, then try cutting down on the portion sizes and exercising a little more. Let me know how it goes and good luck with week 2!

Jun 18, 2012 | Registered CommenterLinda Watson

I have the same problem, unfortunately....

Aug 1, 2012 | Registered Commenterfrann

i want to get something for me also.

Oct 8, 2014 | Registered Commenterjrafi

For people who are gaining weight on this plan, are you following the plant-based, vegan version or the original with dairy and eggs? Are you eating beans and a whole grain or potato most days? Are you drinking only water, tea, or coffee? If the answer is "no" to any of these things, that may be the culprit. I did gain weight myself during a high-stress period when I was still eating vegetarian but not vegan, but it fell off as soon as I dropped the eggs and dairy and has stayed off for almost three years. Excel isle doesn't seem to matter. I weighed a pound less than my goal (my wedding weight) at the beginning of the summer, when I was swimming five times a week. Then I got shingles, slept half the day and sat in a chair the rest of the time. After three months I weighed exactly the same, although I was much less fit. People have different metabolisms though. Please share so we can keep tuning this approach. Thanks!

Oct 8, 2014 | Registered CommenterLinda Watson